Friday 26 October 2012

There Must Be More To Life Than This.

A year ago I felt unfilled with my life. I have an amazing family, four children that I love dearly and a Fiancée (now wife) that I want to spend the rest of my life with but I was still unhappy, I felt like something was missing.
All my life I have felt there was something missing, I would go from job to job telling myself that if I get this job I will be happy, or taking up hobbies, if I learn to do this I would be happy, but inevitably I wasn’t happy. I would be bored of my new job within 9 months and be looking for something new, the hobby would be forgotten and I would still feel something was missing.
I remember looking at my friends who were all happy, they did a job they loved, they seemed fulfilled with working all week and going out to the pubs and clubs on a weekend, I used to ask myself why wasn’t I like them? What was wrong with me?
Then in January I started going to church, I started to read the bible and joined their Bible study, I did an Alpha Course and helped out with church activities and I never noticed that the feeling that something was missing had gone.
Talking with people in church and the people I have met through church I have found out that this is not an uncommon feeling amongst people. I felt alone and singled out amongst my friends who seemed so happy but I never discussed my feelings with them, for all I know they may have felt the same.
Like many people I attempted to fill the hole inside of me with superficial, external things like a new job, a new hobby, new clothes and going out drinking, but none of these worked. It was only when let God into my life did I feel my thirst abate. A thirst that I never knew existed.
In the Gospel of John, Jesus says “Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst” and I can testify to that statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment